Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Honored to Drive "Support Our Troops" Trucks

May 11, 2016

By: Liz Kapsner

J.B. Hunt is dedicated to hiring Veterans and honoring current Vet employees who represent our company on the road, at the terminal and in the office. We proudly support our troops by participating in special events such as Wreaths Across America, where 17 Veterans drive two “Support Our Troops” Freightliners, filled with pre-made wreaths, from Harrington, Maine, to Houston National Cemetery, Texas and the Fayetteville National Cemetery, Ark. With full-hearted gratitude and appreciation, volunteers lay thousands of wreathes on the graves of fallen soldiers.
Today, five J.B. Hunt military wrapped Freightliners cruise America’s highways and are under the command of those who have served in the Navy and Air Force. Each Veteran feels honored to have been chosen to drive a truck that undeniably supports our soldiers.
 Military Wrap Fleet (2 of 38)

Meet a few of our “Support Our Troops” truck drivers…


Dan Byers

DAN -

After 20 years in the Navy, Dan, retired on a Thursday in July of 1995 and was sitting in J.B. Hunt driving school that following Monday.
“I love America so much… the American dream and spirit. I get to see so many parts of America… trucking allows me to see that,” Dan explained.
Dan’s wife of 20- plus years also thought being a truckload driver was a good idea. “She’s a very independent woman… she was used to being married to a Navy man and raising our kids,” Dan said. “She thought I being away from home for several weeks would keep us married for another 19 years,” he added jokingly.
Dan found the transition from the Navy to driving over-the-road to be a smooth ride. “I needed a job that wasn’t standard or typical. In the Navy, no two days were ever the same and it paid well. I found the same with trucking,” he said.
Many of the skills that Dan attained in the military were easily transported into his professional civilian career. He credits such skills in helping him reach over two million safe miles.
“The self control and discipline, attention to detail and alertness from the military, keeps you safe. I didn’t have a doubt in my mind that I’d be accident free,” he said.
Dan received the keys to one of the new “Support Our Troops” Freightliners in December of 2015 and has enjoyed all the notability that has come with it. “It was a real honor… I have a lot of pride driving down the road. I get a lot of compliments on how cool it looks. I also get to bring it to driver events like Nascar… and I got it signed by Richard Petty!” he said.
Dan summed up being a driver of a “Support Our Troops” truck in four words, “This is absolutely spectacular!”

Jim Solock

JIM -

As a Veteran of the Air Force and America’s roadway, Jim’s favorite part about being a truckload driver for over 16 years has been the “amazing sunsets” and being his own boss. He brags about being all over the country, “I’ve driven through all 48 states. Alaska is the only state that I haven’t been. I was stationed in Hawaii while in the military.”
Knowing only the military since he enlisted at 18, Jim’s transition into the driver’s seat of the transportation industry was easier than other lines of work. “Discipline, responsibility, time management and self reliance, are all skills from the military that I use as a truck driver,” Jim said.
In regards to soldiers transitioning into the civilian work place, Jim has some advice to offer, “Your dedication to duty, use that as dedication to your customers. Be courteous and be respectful to customers.” 
Jim was assigned a new “Support Our Troops” Freightliner less than a year ago. “I was happy to be picked. I felt special. It was kind of like winning the lottery!” he said.
Driving the large patriotic vehicle has given Jim unexpected attention and treatment. “I was at a shipper and the guard at the shack commented on my truck. It turned into a good conversation about he being a Vietnam Veteran and his son being a Marine. Another truck rolled up behind me in line and the guard said that he could wait. These kind of conversations happen a lot,” Jim said with a chuckle.

louis

LOUIS -

The military runs deep in Louis’ family and he’s honored to drive a truck that supports our service members.
“I’ve been driving this truck for over a year. It was an honor to be chosen. I have a brother and other family who have served in the military. My family thinks it’s really neat that J.B. Hunt recognizes the military,” Louis said.
After driving heavy equipment and flat beds for over 5 years in the Air Force, Louis found driving for J.B. Hunt to be an obvious career choice. “I traveled in the military, I drove around and had to adapt to different places. I also gained a good sense of direction and learned how to be cordial and interact with different people. Those are skills I use as a truck driver,” Louis said.
Louis has reached over two million safe miles in his 29 years of driving. The Veteran driver is grateful for all the places his truck has taken him. “I enjoy being in a different place every day and seeing different people every day. I’m treated well, equipment is nice, and I can take time off when I want,” he said.
Louis was proud to be one of the 17 Veterans to participate in the Wreaths Across America event and enjoyed driving the wreathes from Louisville, Ky to Nashville, Tenn. “It was great to recognize the military. Other drivers have said that they want to do it as well,” he said. “Now, I have drivers and Veterans that come up to my truck and want to take pictures.”

rick stantowski2

RICK -

When asked what piqued his interest in driving, Rick had a unique response, “As a civilian, I had a positive image of drivers and the industry… they had a courtesy that you could see by car. I saw them helping others on the side of the road.”
After 20 years in the Navy, Rick celebrated his 40th birthday and enrolled in a four week driving school with J.B. Hunt. “[Over-the-road driving] is a good fit for those leaving service. It’s an easier transition. The wife is used to running the home and the husband is used to being away,” he said.
Twenty-one years later, Rick is still driving truckload for J.B. Hunt. “I know them. They know me. Over the years, I’ve liked their focus on safety… safety and training is important… and they’ve given me deadlines that I can meet,” he said.
Rick has been driving a “Support Our Troops” Freightliner for almost a year now. “My fleet manager wanted me to get one. It was great! I was happy to have it,” he said. “The response has been 100 percent positive. I get thumbs ups… they say it’s awesome. I had one guy at the gate remember me from delivering two months ago. He took pictures of my truck and posted it on Facebook. It got a large number of likes. I guess that’s a good thing.”

No comments:

Post a Comment