Tuesday, April 22, 2014

The Boston Marathon-The View from Big Papi

I know many of us watched the results of the Boston Marathon with more interest this year than ever before.   I read something that resonated with me today about the fortitude of the people of Boston.  Enjoy:


 People made a big deal about what I said last year at Fenway Park, when I spoke before our first game after the bombing.  I didn't know what I was going to say before I went out on the field.  I just knew that I was angry.  I was frustrated.  I was emotional and a little scared---I felt the same way everyone else did.  I think we're all the same:  In bad times we look for someone to help us through, like a superhero in the movies.

I was looking for a hero to protect what is ours.  Our city.  Our Marathon.  Our way of life.  When I said what I said and I saw the look in people's eyes, I knew we would be alright. 

                                                                                                                            David Ortiz

 
As I was writing this in the Atlanta airport a bright color caught my eye.  I recognized the adidas jacket that finishers get at the Boston Marathon.  Wendy Brandt, a local junior high Cross Country coach from Harrison, was sitting in the waiting area for our flight to NWA.  She finished in 3:41 and was clearly emotional about what she experienced yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment