Thursday, February 5, 2015

Genchi Genbutsu---Look It Up And You Will Understand

We tried to keep it quiet, but the secret is out.  Our goal was to duplicate Undercover Boss, the popular television show.  We reversed the roles and let the information flow naturally.  Our loads have had no influence by anyone other than the regular assignment and optimization process.
 
So, I chose to ride with Edwina Webb for several reasons.  First, she is a female driver.  The female drivers we have at J.B. Hunt are a precious resource that we want to expand.  This is one of our main reasons for joining Women In Trucking.  We respect the organization and its goal to recruit women to our industry. 
 
 
 Secondly, February is Black History Month.  What better way to honor the struggle of African Americans in the United States by spending a week with Edwina.  We have found that we have a lot in common.  One funny commonality is our love of XM radio channel #50.  We have listened to The Groove all week long.  We challenge each other to see who can name the band the fastest.  I think I have her beat due to my love of Funk Music.  

 
Lastly, Edwina drives for one of our fleets that has the highest turnover.  She is a Western Network driver and has shared a lot of ideas with me during our 14 hours in the cab each day.  We can make this job and this fleet better.  We should not rest until our turnover is below 100%. 
 
I will share doses of our reality on the blog so you can see the reality of trucking on the west coast.  It has been one of the most valuable trips I have ever taken in my 48 years of life.  I am blessed to know Edwina and she and I have a bond now.  She is my Funk Sister in Crime.  


 

No comments:

Post a Comment